As a homeowner that’s doing renovations, you might ask yourself, “should I be replacing my windows?”
When your home is undergoing renovations, you want to get the most value out of the change you’re making. Many homeowners will opt to remodel their kitchens and bathrooms, but what about your windows? Can installing new windows increase your home’s value? Keep reading to learn about the effect windows can have on your house’s value.
When and Why You Should Replace Your Windows:
Before we get into the topic of new windows increasing your home value, we should talk about why you would need to replace your windows. We understand that replacing windows can be costly, but there comes a time when updating your windows is necessary. Any of the following signs are a reason to replace your windows:
Drafty windows and higher energy bills
– If your windows are shut, but you can still feel a slight breeze when you’re near them, it’s time to replace them. When windows leak air from the outside, you end up spending more on energy bills as you crank up the heater to keep your home warm. According to the Department of Energy, reducing drafts can save you 10-20% per year on your utility bill.
Warping or discoloration
– If your window frames are looking discolored or soft and bending, it’s due to windows no longer keeping the moisture out. Too much moisture in the wrong places can lead to inefficient and unappealing windows.
Moisture between window panes
– If moisture is built up between the two panes of your window, you’re likely dealing with a broken seal. Depending on your window’s age, replacement may be necessary if the window is over ten years old.
Does Replacing My Windows Increase My Home’s Value?
If the above signs are not a significant concern for you, then you might still be asking, “Is replacing my windows worth it?” The answer to that question is yes! While there might not be an immediate visual cue to show that you need new windows, windows can make a big difference in your home’s overall look and feel. When replacing your windows, you can consider different styles, frame colors, and frame materials. All of which can give your home a facelift and add equity to your home.
Choosing the Right Replacement Windows for the Highest Return
While updating your windows can affect your home’s value, it’s important to note that home appraisers and homebuyers place the highest value on your windows if they are of good quality. So investing in new windows pays off if you can pay for more upscale options. Here are the upgrades that people find value in:
- Energy-efficient windows that align with the climate you live in.
- Double pane windows that are more energy-efficient and durable.
- The frames are made with durable materials such as aluminum and wood.
- The windows add style and appeal to the over aesthetic of the home
Replace Your Windows with Mountain States Windows & Siding
If you’re thinking to yourself, “I’m interested in replacing my windows now,” then look no further than Mountain States Windows and Siding! Our experts are eager to help you pick out and install the best windows for your home. Serving Park City, West Jordan, South Jordan, Lehi, Spanish Fork, and all the Utah cities in between, we guarantee that you’ll love our window options and service. Stop by our store in Lehi, or request an estimate today to get in touch with us!