When 2018 dawns you could make some of the common resolutions – lose weight, less sugar, floss your teeth, read more, stop swearing. But we know you’ll drop those resolutions by February. Why don’t you pick some easy resolutions that you can actually achieve AND that will save you money? Another big bonus is you can call yourself environmentally friendly when you commit to them. We have 5 New Years Resolutions that can help you to save money on utilities and become more energy efficient.
5 New Years Resolutions to Save You Money on Utilities
- Unplug Everything: Did you know your utilities use energy even when they’re turned off? That’s right. The old DVD player in the basement that you use once a month, the shredder in your office… they’re all sucking energy and rarely used. Make it a point to unplug everything after using it and you’ll start to see a small shift in utility bills.
- Get Vigilant About Doors & Windows: We often hear from customers that they didn’t realize that their window or door has been misfit or ill-hung for YEARS and it was letting icy cold winter air into their home, driving up their heating bill. Decide to make it a habit to check all your doors and windows regularly. Are they shut? Locked? Drafty? It can save you so much in maintaining temperature. Mountain States Windows & Siding can help repair or replace old or drafty windows for you, no matter the season.
- Save to Go Energy Efficient: Set a financial goal to upgrade an appliance to something more energy efficient. Do your research to determine which of your appliances is the oldest and what energy efficient options are available. Set a savings goal to replace the appliance and then enjoy the lower operating costs of your new energy efficient appliance!
- Get Smart: Consider investing in smart technology for your thermostat and other power-sucking items in your home. You can set lights to timers, automate your temperature, and even force power shutdown on certain appliances. It can save you a lot in the long run.
- Strengthen Your Exterior: Make one of your resolutions to closely monitor, repair, and possibly upgrade your home’s exterior. This will increase your insulation and lower utilities bills. Look for weaknesses in your siding and repair quickly. Keep pests and bushes away from your walls, and protect outlets.
2018 can spell big savings and a more energy efficient home for you and your family with a few key habits and goals designed to save you money on your utilities and stop the wasted energy.